How many times do you wish to access free wifi when visiting a restaurant or cafe? I’m pretty sure we all have been guilty of that. But have you ever thought of it specially? Doesn’t that make their network and resources less secure? Precisely, in this article, we will learn about unifi guest network.
Of course, it does. That is why they offer different network set up for the guests, separate from their staff and family.
Why go so far? There is one perfect example. When you have guests over and you, being a polite host, have to share your wifi passkey(though you don’t want to).By doing that, you compromise your security, but you can’t just say no, right?
So you can set up a guest network. As far as Unifi goes, it is an Internet Service Provider. You can establish an Unifi guest network if you get its service.
So, today, we will learn the step-wise process of arranging for an Unifi guest network. Shall we get started?
See Also : ASUS Router Login [How to Perform ASUS Login and Troubleshoot]
How Do I Setup A Unifi Guest Network
OK, so I have decided to discuss the procedure in phases. There are three phases.
- NEW USER GROUP CREATION
- UNIFI GUEST NETWORK
- CONFIGURING AND SETTING THINGS IN ORDER
Phase 1: New User Group Creation
Before you get on with the Unifi Guest network, the first requirement will be to get a new user group to your credit. It can be convenient if you want to take restrictive measures of how much and who can use the connections, etc. The following steps would serve your purpose.
- Open up your settings. You should be able to spot the option, create a user group from scratch.
- Name it, apply the restrictions. Click save to proceed.
See Also :
Phase 2: Unifi Guest Network
After having procured a brand new group, now we have to get a separate network for the non-home users. It can be achieved by:
- Choose the option that says the wireless network under settings. Configure one for you and name it.
- In the second step of setting up the unifi guest network, reached here, apply any guest settings you want. Don’t forget to keep the security open.
- Choose the group we had just created from the Option labeled Advanced setting to proceed.
After this step is complete and done, we’ll have two things from the required three. So let us go ahead and get the last one.
Phase 3: Guest Portal Setup
For setting up an unifi guest network, the last step needs us to get an unifi guest portal, wherein where can secure things up. We can do this by adding authentication and authorization measures. Let us see how?
- Guest Policy Part: In this particular category, we can arrange for the policies. All you must do is turn on the Guest Portal. You can find it if you look under the Control page category.
- Other settings you can customize are to decide where you want to send the user, by default. You can also state the period after which you want the portal to cease to work.
- Customization: Customization and molding things according to your needs always feels right, doesn’t it? So, you can do some customization, when setting up a portal in an unifi guest network. You can make it have different languages, pictures, inform users how much of free internet they get, etc.
See Also : How to Perform Time Warner Router Login [Complete Guide]
Unifi provides the option to compress the pictures & cut the audios
- WHO GETS TO ACCESS IT: At this point, our unifi guest network is up and working. The whole point of everything here is controlling the access. There are two schemes for restricting. They are namely post and pre-restrictions with default settings.
- HOW TO MANAGE: Once done with the above settings, you might need guidance for further process. I’ve got you covered.
Once all the guests are connected and start using, you can view the activity. How? Well, there is an option of the dashboard; this is where you can see all that goes on. It shows you how many clients are connected and who they are. Apart from that, if you click on the names of one of these users, it shows more information.
This information includes facts and stats about who has utilized how many bits of data. Also, we can get aware of the duration of the device’s connectivity.
But you know what is the best and the safest part?
The one that allows you (the admin) to take access back if someone misbehaves or leaves. You can also give permissions to use someone new.
So that was all regarding how you can manage the configuration of an unifi guest network—thereby adding an extra layer of security to your home network. I have divided it into phases for your convenience. So, go ahead and make sure no device or system is left unsecured.
See Also : Update Netgear Router’s Firmware | Netgear Router Firmware Update
Learn everything that is related to Router Login, IP Addresses in an extremely simple way. Also get access to all the usernames and passwords of different routers.